Battle net updating setup files
I wish I knew how to edit the script to make it work correctly.
You can see it here: https://lutris.net/games/battlenet/ The script should use the 64-bit version of wine 1.9.11-staging, but for right now it just uses the 32-bit version of wine 1.8, which doesn't work.
The logs aren't massive so you can't miss the urls. I restarted, then deleted cache as SAPULIDI mentioned. but I hope it doesnt get stuck , making me have to reinstall it everytime I want to play or update the game.
Also I added folder and into my antivirus exclusions. I did see some file locations in c: drive written there. And when I tried to put that in chrome it showed a " save" window. and By my description of logs issue it may be clear I may be a noob with these things x DI would remove/uninstall everything and try to install app again. Please help if you can Hi all, I had this problem for weeks aswell and i dont even have a antivirus... Checked firewall permissions, Uninstalled app, tried to reinstall vs vs everything but i got same loop while trying to re-install app.
So I deleted Battlenet app manually and then tried reinstalling Battlenet app but now it is stuck at "Updating Blizzard Agent stuck at 50%. I went to update Hot S and noticed nothing, including the launcher, was updating.
Killing any of the agent processes that spawn (it spawns many) results in the launcher loading with an immediate error stating "There has been a communication error, please restart the launcher", restarting the launcher results in the process repeating againsince it didn't "install" yet - there is no entry in add/remove programs.Thanks again for all of your great feedback throughout the course of our testing, and we look forward to hearing everyone’s thoughts on the open beta in the forums. I'm trying to help out with lutris game launchers but the documentation is really spotty and quite frankly I'm confused.After a reasonable hiatus from Blizzard games, I have decided to reinstall Diablo 3.I used to have it installed and working on this machine and removed my previous install using Add/Remove Programs.
I accepted then deleted the whole file located in Program Data, restarted the installation and it worked. I copied the urls I found in the logs ( I think there is only one).